I Still Haven’t Received My W-2: What Should I Do?

Haven't Received W-2

Tax season is upon us! Do you have your W-2 yet? The sooner you get it, the better: Nothing can make filing your taxes more of a headache than not having that handy-dandy piece of paper in your grasp.

If you haven’t got your W-2 yet, don’t panic: There’s still time to get it before you file! Let Hacker Accounting give you a hand: Here’s what you can do to if you haven’t received W-2.

Related: When Should I Send My Employees Their W-2s?

Talk To Your Employer

If you haven’t received your W-2, the first thing you should do is get in touch with your employer. If the business has an HR department, get directly in contact with them. The same principle works for former employers: If you worked for a company during this tax season that you’re no longer a part of, you’ll still need to get your W-2 from them too.

When you get in touch with your employer, inquire if and when your W-2 was mailed. It’s possible that it may have been mailed but was returned to your employer because of an incorrect or incomplete address. After you contact your employer, allow a reasonable amount of time to pass for them to resend or issue the W-2.

What If You Don’t Get A W-2 From Them?

If you have not received your W-2 by February 14th, contact the IRS for assistance at 800-829-1040. Make sure that you have the following information on hand when you make that call:

  • Your employer’s name, address, city and state, including zip code and phone number
  • Dates of your employment
  • An estimate of the wages you earned, including the federal income tax withheld and when you worked for that employer during the tax year. You can get this estimate from information that can be found on your final pay stub or leave-and-earnings statement, if you happen to have either one handy.

You Still Have To File Your Return

Regardless of whether or not you receive your W-2 in time, you’ll still need to file your return. You’ll have to either request an extension to file or file your tax return by April 18th. If you’ve done your due diligence and reached out to your employer to no avail, you can use Form 4852, the Substitute for Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement. Attach Form 4852 to your return, estimating your income and withholding taxes as accurately as possible. Expect a delay in any refund you may have coming back to you: The information you submitted will have to be verified.

What Do I Do If I Get My W-2 After I File?

You could end up receiving your missing W-R AFTER you file your return. If this happens and the information on your W-2 is different than what you reported on your Form 4852, you’ll need to amend your return. You can do this by filing a Form 1040X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return.

Related: 4 Questions To Ask Your Accountant During Tax Season

Got questions about your W-2s? Haven’t received W-2? Give Hacker Accounting a call at 602-375-5254.

Chris Hacker
Chris has been working in the bookkeeping and accounting field for over 15 years preparing business, income and payroll taxes. Chris has a bachelor’s degree from Arizona State and is an Enrolled Agent with the Internal Revenue Service.